Vanity and Pride | Bahasa Inggris Kelas 11
Teman KOCO, yuk kita simak teks berjudul “Vanity and Pride” pada materi Reading Enrichment Chapter 4 Vanity What Is Thy Price? di bawah ini. Setelah itu, kita akan sama-sama menjawab pertanyaan pada bagian post-reading activity, mulai dari nomor 1, yakni “What do you think of Madame Loisel? Do you know anyone who has the same personality as Madame Loisel? How are they alike? Please describe.” hingga nomor terakhir. Selamat menyimak!
Teks Reading “Vanity and Pride”
Madame Loisel was a pretty girl born into a poor family. She had no expectations and she felt so trapped by her situation that she married a little clerk in a government office. Her tastes were simple because she had never been able to afford any other, but she was as unhappy as though she had married beneath her status; for women have no caste or class, their beauty, grace, and charm serving them for birth or family. She suffered endlessly, feeling herself born for every delicacy and luxury. She suffered from the poorness of her house, from its bare walls, worn chairs, and ugly curtains.
“The Minister and Madame Ramponneau
request the pleasure of the company of
Monsieur and Madame Loisel
at the Ministry on the evening of Monday, January the eighteenth.”
Madame Loisel was absolutely smashing! She was prettier than any of the other women: elegant, graceful, smiling and wild with joy. Everyone noticed her, and her husband’s boss seemed to want every dance with her!
Madame Loisel didn’t tell Madame Forestier that she lost her necklace and she chose to replace it. The replacement cost them everything. Madame Loisel came to know the ghastly life of abject poverty. Their previous life seemed downright luxurious compared to what they had now.
Jawaban Post-Reading Activity
Jawaban post-reading “Vanity and Pride”. Read the questions carefully. Note down your opinions and reactions to the questions. During the discussion with your teacher and classmates, offer your personal reaction and understanding of the text.
1. What do you think of Madame Loisel? Do you know anyone who has the same personality as Madame Loisel? How are they alike? Please describe.
Madame Loisel is really arrogant because of her beauty and she also would not be grateful for what she has now. The step mother of Snow White who was the same personality as Madame Loisel. Snow White stepmother is really arrogant too. She is a witch who like to be a beautiful woman in this world and she would kill any body who more beautiful than her.
2. In the beginning of the play, Madame Loisel was very sad and unsatisfied. Why was she sad and unsatisfied? What did she want? Support your answer with examples from the play.
She is sad and unsatisfied because she hopes to have rich handsome husband, but she get the ugly and little clerk. Example from the story is in first paragraph at sentence : Her tastes were simple because she had never been able to afford any other, but she was as unhappy as though she had married beneath her status; for women have no caste or class, their beauty, grace, and charm serving them for birth or family.
3. Why do you think Madame Loisel borrowed the necklace from her friend?
Because she said : “Of Course ! I can borrow something suitable from Jeane” and “I have lost Madame Forestier necklace”
4. Do you think she had a good time at the ball? Support your answer with examples from the play.
Yes, she does. Because everyone sees her and feels that she has to get it back earlier.
5. Do you think Madame Loisel’s longing for higher-class life ruined her? Support your answer with reasons.
Yes, she lost the necklace and then become a maid to pay off the missing necklace.
6. What event brought about the beginning of a new life for Monsieur and Madame Loisel? Did this event change their life for better or worse? Give reasons to support your answer.
The event change their life to better, because they have working harder and they start to be grateful for their new life.
7. Why do you think they didn’t tell Madame Forestier that they had lost the necklace? Give reasons to support your answer.
Madame Loisel did not tell Madame Forestier because Madame Loisel was afraid she had lost Madame Forestier’s necklace.
8. Did the ending of the play surprise you? What kind of ending did you expect? Explain.
Yes, the ending is very suprising. I expect the diamond is real, not an imitation.
9. What is the moral of the story? Discuss what you learned from this story.
The moral is to be grateful for what you have and don’t want anything that is beyong our ability for unimportant things (source: quizizz).
10. If you had a chance to rewrite the story, how would the story end? Write a new ending for the story.
An example of a new ending to the story is Madame Forestier asking Madame Loisel that she should have told the truth when her necklace was lost. Thus Madame Forestier would forgive Madame Loisel.
Usai menyimak pemaparan diatas, kini kamu makin mahir menguasai seputar materi “Vanity and Pride” .
Oiya, Minco alias Mimin KOCO juga mau kasih bocoran, nih kalau KOCO Star juga menyediakan media pembelajaran jika kamu masih butuh penjelasan yang lebih lengkap lagi. Langsung klik gambar banner ini, ya!
Dapatkan juga akses ke ribuan materi atau video belajar Matematika, IPA, IPS, Bahasa Indonesia, Bahasa Inggris, dan mapel lainnya, serta bantuan langsung dari para guru secara live online melalui KODIO Learning.